Thursday, April 15, 2010

Job update


So, much to my surprise, I've been getting positive responses to some job applications:

~flying to Kansas next weekend (April 23-26) to interview, preach (to children) and teach. It's a full itinerary, confronting some of my biggest fears about preaching and teaching. It should be good experience.

~spoke with a L'Arche rep, need to decide which locations I prefer--Seattle, Syracuse (NY), Iowa, Kansas. Rural or urban? Would like the beauty of nature, but with the convenience and diversity and culture of a city--can I have both? One bummer: I would get a "living stipend" (amount depends on location), which I doubt would give me the oodles of cash I was envisioning (delusioning?) to get financially more on my feet. Also, felt I was rather incoherent in communicating on the phone for the first few questions, which I'm hoping doesn't affect their perception of me too much...

~looked up some stats for Oakland after talking with my stepdad last night--his perception: DANGER CITY, makes south LA look tame. He wants to make sure that I'm aware of what I'm going into, which I need to do...just felt so distracted by the preaching/pastoral thing...results of research? confusing--some residents definitely take pride in beauty/culture/diversity/etc. of Oakland, don't think it's as crime-ridden as portrayed by media, but those voices persist as well online...

Rather exciting to have options, but not sure if it's wise to pursue all these and to continue searching--I guess learning to prioritize and balance...

I'll be traveling two weekends in a row (April 23, May 1), hoping I won't feel too uprooted and off-kilter...

4 comments:

  1. Oh the possibilities, Ingrid! It's nice to have options, isn't it? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on where you are in Oakland. I lived in Berkeley and had a quick commute to Oakland for a year and it was perfectly fine. The area I worked did get sketchy after dark, so I always left by 6 or so. There are areas that are worse, and there are areas that are better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the same L'Arche community as the one Henri Nouwen worked with in France, during his later years?

    Oakland...wow, you'd be not so far from SJ!

    All exciting options. Keep us updated, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oakland is amazing :) there are some areas you def. want to avoid and some areas that are perfectly safe. and wherever you are, you should always be cautious at night :)

    ReplyDelete